Thursday 18 February 2010

My Dad's Masterpiece

I have always wanted to take pictures of my dad's masterpieces. I managed to get the opportunity to do so this year. Unfortunately, some of the planes had been spoilt.

During my dad's time, toys was a luxury to find since only the rich would have the capability to buy them. My dad thus made his own toy airplane to play. A reporter found out about the toy planes that he made and his picture and planes made it in the newspaper. This was in the year 1960 something.

I ever heard my dad mention that he had a indigenous friend who was very good with painting. My dad would make the planes and he would paint them. Haha.. through this, I found out that my dad has an english name called Benjamin Jong. The name was given by my dad's friend. I was shocked and surprised that my dad had an english name!
The two airplanes seen here (2 wings) was especially made by my dad due to a request by me.
This is the smallest airplane he has even built.
It is a pity some parts of the airplane was damage.
I was wondering how he made the body of the plane using one piece of wood and no gluing.
This part is the most difficult one to make. The plane's propeller was made with one piece of wood and can be made to turn when the wind blows on it.
Propellers in action.
This is another type of plane. Not sure what the words mean. It says "ka li po".


Look familiar right? My dad using pencil wood for the tyres.
This was the picture the reporter took of him. According to my dad, he was about 16 years old. As you can see in this picture, he made a big plane. The pictures of the planes I took was built in 1990 something. This shows that my dad had slowly been honing his skills over the years, building smaller and more challenging plane models.

Prologue: Seeing my dad's enthusiasm and drive has been the motivating factor for me to continue to strive to perfect my skills in assembling plastic models as well as to improve my skills as a graphics designer. Editing by Sylvia.

10 comments:

Faris said...

Jojo i tot u are a Bruneian hehehe...
Wah your father is so talented eh my sis said your father so handsome(true) hehehe

chubbybots said...

wow that is quite a history! Like father like son both into modelling ^^ Plus he looks quite handsome :D

My dad is more into audio equipment though haha, it will be so cool to have my dad build models with me!

jojosochi said...

Faris, haha.. i'm Mirian hehe.. coming 10 years been working at Brunei, my mum's siblings all stay in Seria. Mostly school holiday will come to Seria stay with them.

Tell your sis "thanks!" ;) haha..

jojosochi said...

Chubbybots, my modelling skill still in learning stage, can't compare with my dad, he can build a plane with wood, me just assemble plastic model with instruction menu.. haha..

Wao.. audio equipment.. quite expensive hobby.. i guess your living room look like mini theatre haha..

divinelight said...

wow, that's a great masterpiece from the past.

mangyver5223 said...

@Jojo: What u have relatives at Serian there? I salute ur father much because can build that model detailly

HevnBoyz said...

jojo, your dad is bloody brilliant! awesome stuffs he has there! Did he come up with any boieng 737 or 747 ?

jojosochi said...

mangyver5223, Yup, Yup. You from Seria too?

jojosochi said...

HevnBoyz, Thanks ;) No he didn't, cause he like the propeller design. Was ask my father to make another plane, he say too old for him now, material and tools also an issue.

I think the last masterpiece he make it was 10 years plus ago from now.

mangyver5223 said...

@jojo:actually i live near Kuching