Tuesday 25 October 2011

BB218 MS-06F ZAKU II Part 2

Experiment 2: Dry Brush + Salt Weathering. Experiment failed..

The main idea of using salt weathering is to first put a primer colour (e.g. silver) before placing salt on the surface. Then, another layer of colour (e.g. green) is sprayed over it before allowing it to dry. Finally, the salt is removed (e.g. using toothbrush) and the result should look the the photo below.

The first step is propping my model parts on sticks before getting ready to spray. I used Tamiya spray TS-29 semi-gloss black for my base coat.



The next step is the application of salt. The bottle spray is used to spray water on the model kit (don't spray too much water on the kit as too much salt may stick on it or the salt may melt). A way of preventing this would be to hold the bottle about 30 - 50 cm away. Salt is then scattered on the kit and the kit is left to dry until all the water has evaporated.

In order to prevent the salt from falling off the kit when I use the dry brush technique later, I sprayed a layer of Tamiya spray TS-13 Clear over the kit. This was a major mistake as it caused the kit to have a glossy sheen and hence prevents me from using the dry brush technique as the surface is too glossy for the paint to stick. Picture shown below are after applying salt on the kit.

Let me now explain what dry brush technique I intend to use. The normal dry brush technique is to paint a silver colour over a dark base in order to create a slight enhancement effect. However, I am trying out a slightly different method to produce the effect as shown in the picture below.

However, instead of getting the effect I wanted in the picture above, this was what I ended up with.

To conclude, the salt effect works but the Tamiya spray TS-13 Clear should not be used with the dry-brush technique I used. Back to experimenting again...
Editing by Sylvia.

BB218 MS-06F ZAKU II: Part 1Part 2Part 3Part 4.

0 comments: